Three visionaries for HRT
Joseph Loze Onwude*
Published: 15 January, 2021 | Volume 4 - Issue 1 | Pages: 007-009
When a woman consults a doctor about Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT), the first concern is that there is an increased risk of breast cancer with HRT. And this sole reason might be the reason for refusing the offer of HRT. However, this practice has minimal basis and evidence to support it. Although HRT is an umbrella term, women who have no uterus receive oestrogen-only HRT or Estrogen Replacement therapy (ERT). No valid study has linked ERT with an increased risk of breast cancer [1,2].
Read Full Article HTML
Cite this Article
Read Full Article PDF
- Anderson GL, Chlebowski RT, Aragaki AK, Kuller LH, Manson JE, et al. Conjugated equine oestrogen and breast cancer incidence and mortality in postmenopausal women with hysterectomy: extended follow-up of the Women’s Health Initiative randomised placebo-controlled trial. Lancet Oncology. 2012; 13: 476–486. PubMed: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22401913/
- Chlebowski RT, Garnet L, Anderson GL, et al. Long-term influence of estrogen plus progestin and estrogen alone use on Breast cancer incidence: The Women’s Health Initiative Randomised Trials. San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium. 2019.
- Collaborative Group on Hormonal Factors in Breast Cancer. Breast cancer and hormone replacement therapy: collaborative reanalysis of data from 51 epidemiological studies of 52,705 women with breast cancer and 108,411 women without breast cancer. Lancet. 1997; 350: 1047-1059. PubMed: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10213546/
- Shapiro S, Farmer RDT, Seaman H, Stevenson JC, Mueck AO. Does hormone replacement therapy cause breast cancer? An application of causal principles to three studies Part 1. The Collaborative Reanalysis. J Fam Plann Reprod Health Care. 2011; 37: 103-109. PubMed:https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21454266/
- Manyonda I, Onwude JL. Rapid response to: Use of hormone replacement therapy and risk of breast cancer: nested case-control studies using the QResearch and CPRD databases. BMJ. 2020; 371.
- Manyonda I, Talaulikar VS, Pirhadi R, Onwude J. Progestogens are the problem in hormone replacement therapy: Time to reappraise their use. 2019.
- Robert Wilson. Feminine Forever. Publisher: WH Allen Publishing. USA. 1966.
- Cooper W. No Change. Hutchinson Publishing, 1975.
- Gorman T. Hooray to HRT. 2013.